Friday, February 6, 2009

On a previous subject

“To me, this is the real world,” she said. “And it’s a very peaceful world. I don’t hear anything except the leaves falling. I get up in the morning, I go out on my front deck and I dance and I say, ‘It’s another glorious day on the mountain.’ Men are violent. The minute a man walks in the dynamics change immediately, so I choose not to be around those dynamics."
--Winnie Adams as quoted in the NY Times

Check out this NY Times article,
My Sister's Keeper, which discusses the fate of lesbian separatist communities. While Gilman didn't mention lesbianism in Herland, the assumptions about gender, masculinity, femininity, and utopia that allow for the creation of these communities would sound very familiar to her.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment